Every September, the Edmonton Sailors head down to the Gorge for 7 (ish) days of sailing and fellowship.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

2008 Fall Gorge Trip - The first few days...

2008 Fall Gorge Trip.

I started out being a little worried that no one was going the Gorge this year. No trash talk on email. I sent out an email to see what was going on.

“Anyone going to the Gorge next week? When is everyone leaving? I haven't seen any "Trash Talk" so am wondering if it is still a go......”

It was like opening a flood gate….. Lots of trash. Turned out Ross, Andreas, and Blain, already down in the Gorge. Mike said it best….

“Passed that dirtbag Blaine going South just south of Sandpoint yesterday Pretty soon they will be leaving in July for the Fall Trip”

I had a meeting in Red Deer on Thursday, so I talked Louise into letting me leave from there. I left Red Deer about 2:00pm. I reached the Boarder about 7:00pm and then drove to Bonner Ferry, where I found the last room in town. It was a nice room in a rustic hotel for $59.00. They had a large Cat (85 lbs) on the wall. Apparently it was small one. The owner had seen a 185 lb one the other week. Here kitty kitty kitty…..

I spoke with Andreas on the phone. He, Blain and Ross were at the Coast. The weather was great – we should come. … Nothing happening in Hood River.


After Shock Roller Coaster at Silverwood.



I slept late, and left by about 7:30. I stopped at Silverwood to take some photos of Spencer and my favorite rollercoaster, the After Shock. I still remember hanging from the straps, looking at the ground, straight below, 191 feet off the ground. Long lineup, but great ride.


I got a call around noon that the Hatchery was going off. As I drove down the river, the water was almost flat. Nothing at all at Roosevelt, nothing at Maryhill. Even at Doug’s, there were only three cars in the parking lot, and no one on the water. I didn’t think I was going to get sailing. As I drove passed the Hood River Bridge, the river turned white with whitecaps. I arrived at the Hatchery at about 2:15. Jim S, Jim C, Harold, Brad, Kent, and Mike were already there and had been sailing for a couple of hours on small rigs. I quickly rigged my 5.6. By the time I was ready to hit the water, the wind had died off – everyone was slogging. I sat and watched for a while, then rigged my 6.6 and sailed until 6:30. The rest of the gang sat on the beach, because it wasn’t windy enough…. Many times, I almost came in to change to the 5.6, but each time I did it seemed to die down a bit. The sail in the first hour was quite a handful. The wind was changing direction and speed often. In the end, I had a great sail and some good jumps. Some people were out on 3.7’s while I was on the 6.6. I was the last person left on the water by the time I got off.


It was “First Fridays” in hood river. We walked downtown and listened to many street performers. Had a free hotdog down the street, and then a burger and beer in the local British pub.


2009-08-05 Saturday


Saturday the call was for light winds in the morning then dropping off. We went to the Hatchery and waited around in very light winds. Harold made an attempt, but didn’t get planning.


Kent - waiting for wind...

An interesting Tree at the Hatchery....

At about 2:00pm we returned to Hood River. Mike went for a Kite sesson at the Marina/Sandbar, and some of us set out on a bike ride. Harold, Kent, Brad, Jim C, and I headed to Rowena Lookout. It was a long, hard ride for me. I think Jim struggled a bit as well. When we got to the lookout, Kent and Harold road down into Rowena and then back up (about 700' vertical). Wow! Kent, Brad and I had fun drafting each other on the way back. I lead only for a short time, as I don’t have the legs that the other two have. 42km and 1800’ total vertical. Wow! I am wondering if I will be able to walk tomorrow. When we got back, we found out that Jim S was out on the river at the Event site. He was on his 120l board and 6.5m sail, and nicely powered. I sat and watched for a while, thinking I should head out, but then the sun went down.Dinner at Piatros – then a quick hot tub and early to bed……

No comments: