Every September, the Edmonton Sailors head down to the Gorge for 7 (ish) days of sailing and fellowship.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

2008-09-11 Bobs Beach




My Rigs for the day... 5.6 Hucker. 90l Comp Wave Board - then 107L Free Board



Today was one of those days that you don't expect much of anything. I-Windsurf wasn't predicting much. Temira's forcast wasn't updated so was a day old.

What forecast we had, was for average winds - Eastbound, at Bob's Beach. As it usually blows early (and ends early) when it's easterly, I headed out early and dragged Harold and Kent with me.

As I drove down the river I wondered if we would get sailing at all. There would be some whitecaps - then nothing, then more whitecaps. Home Valley looked sailable, but not great.

When I got to Bob's Beach, the wind was blowing off the tops of the white caps.

I rigged my 5.6 and Comp Wave 90 Litre board. I was worried that I was to big. Kent started rigging, but thought I was rigged much to small.


I was on the water by 8:45. Way overpowered... I hung on. The waves aren't very big on Easterlies, so I was able to keep control.

Kent came out about 1/2 hour later, but quickly went back to shore to re-rig. It turned out, I didn't have to get out early. I finally came of the water at about noon. Everyone had been out.





Jim had a great time on his 5.3.

Gerry did some great port jumps....real floaters...

As usual, Blaine and Kent were ripping the place apart.

There were lots of fish nets on the far side. I think all of us took a turn getting hooked in them.


For a no wind day, we all had a great time.

Sorry - very few photos - I sailed too long, and was too tired when I returned.

After lunch, most of us went out again. The wind finally started to die around 2:00. Brad was heard saying - I wish the wind would quit so I wouldn't feel so bad about not sailing anymore....

After sailing we watched a fisherman string a net right across the approach to the launch. The locals got the local fish and game officer out to look. I'm glad this isn't my fight. Turns out it is a long standing rivalry between two Indian families.




Mike and Ross finished out the day with some kiting at Rooster Rock.

Back in Hood River, we had beer on the porch with Landlord Laury. Followed by dinner...

Jim S, Brad, Mike, Kent and Blaine went to the Three River Grill. Greg, Harold, Jim C, and I went to 6th street.




All of the guy's were a bit nervous about the "Ladies Night Out" in Edmonton. Repeated calls went unanswered. I guess the ladies had their cell phones off.....

Louise likes photo's of flowers. These were on the trail along the shore. Do you see the bee???



No comments: