Every September, the Edmonton Sailors head down to the Gorge for 7 (ish) days of sailing and fellowship.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Saturday – Time to Pack Up and Go Home – But First....

It was still blowing when we woke up. Most of us have to go home today, but Ross, Blain, Gerry and Ed may be staying for another day or two.
We cleaned up the house, and then headed for the Hatchery. Spencer and I arrived about 9:30 and were on the water by 10:00. Kent beat us to the water on his 4.7. I rigged my 5.6 Hucker on the Free xxx board, and Spencer went on the 3.7 and Acid. Most of the other guy’s decided to wait until it to build.
I had a disposalble waterproof camera, so I tucked it in a life jacket and tried to go out and get some photos. I took some of Kent – then he volunteered to take some of me and Spencer. I gave him the life jacket and camera and took after Spencer. Unfortunately we weren’t able to hook up with all three of us in the same location for a photo. About 2 reaches after I gave the life Jacket to Kent, my mast base disconnected from the Board on the far side. It was all I could do to catch the board. Felt like I was going to have a heart attack when I caught it. Good thing I didn’t have the life jacket or I would still be drifting…
We had a great sail for a couple of hours – though we were overpowered by the end as the wind picked up. I followed Spencer on a few reaches and he had some very nice Jumps and wave rides. He says he cuts hard enough to make a spray both ways on the waves. Very impressive for three days in the gorge.
Spencer and I quit at noon and packed up. The others decided to go out for one last session.
They were coming in as we were leaving so we were able to say our good bye’s. The plan is to meet Kent in Cranbrook to share a hotel room.
What an incredible trip!
Ted

No comments: